Tuesday, May 1, 2012

This Week in Mayfair (04/30/2012)


Apparently yesterday was National Honesty Day. It's a day where things you don't normally say to people are encouraged. I'm kind of sad that I missed actually posting yesterday because that would have made for a very interesting post. Usually the filter between brain and mouth is typically off when I'm writing anyway since I'm shockingly pretty reserved in real life (at least with people I don't know. If I'm comfortable with you, lucky you gets the full force of my opinion and witness my awesome ability to use the F-word as a noun, verb or adjective.) I'll be totally honest and tell you why I didn't post yesterday. I didn't feel like it, my house was a mess, and I had better things to do (Pinterest). There!! Damn! That feels good!


I'm here to honestly tell you what is going on in Mayfair this week! I'm working diligently on getting a schedule together for you for the Mayfair May Fair which is on Saturday, May 19, 2012 so mark your calendars now! There's going to be all kinds of fun stuff going on up and down Frankford and Cottman (sidewalk sales, stuff for the kids, live music, bake sales, giveaways, etc!). All of it is Mayfair focused and showcasing the businesses and organizations in the community.  The day typically lasts from 10am to 8pm and is kicked off by the 4th Annual Fallen Heroes Run around Lincoln High School starting at 7:30am. This year it honors Firefighter Joseph Konrad but is especially poignant this year with the loss of the 2 firefighters in Kensington as well. Festivities along Frankford Ave and Cottman typically kick off between 10 and 11am and this year we are doing something a little different; Mayfair After Dark (bow chicka wow wow).

Mayfair After Dark is going to start around 6pm down at the Devon District and the Grey Lodge so make sure you put the kiddies to bed, get a babysitter, and join us for some music, good food and drinks, an art show and a car show! It's going to be a sexy blast! More details about all of these things including a list and schedule of when things are going to be happening on the Ave is being worked on today once the kids are down for a nap. I could lie and say they are reading the complete works of Shakespeare because they are geniuses and I don't allow them to watch TV but yesterday was Honesty Day. So for reals, right now they are zoning out in front of PBS Kids so Mommy can catch up on the fact that she was sloth yesterday. I'm pretty sure my youngest is stuffing things into the VCR that he shouldn't be either but I'm on too much of a writing roll to go and stop him. Mother of the Year.

Well since I already mentioned the Grey Lodge I might as well start with them. They are still in recovery mode this week from a busy April but Quizzo is still on for Wednesday at 8pm. Don't worry! Next week picks back up with some new events and then the end of May is like a roller coaster ride to the summer! Yay!!!

Always one to be honest is Mike Perzel of The Perzel Agency. Of course he's still doing his Phillies tix giveaway. I hear buzzing that the Phillies aren't doing too well this year (honest time: I'm a hockey girl--Go Flyers!) but I'm thinking it's just a matter of needing YOUR support!! So head on down to The Perzel Agency and get a quote on your personal insurance (Auto, Home, Renters, Life) to be entered to win seats (Section 131, Row 5--game to be determined) so you can cheer the Phillies on in person. While there, don't forget your $5.00 Wawa Gift Card. Just make sure you mention the MBA! All MBA members also qualify for a $25.00 Amazon Gift Card for getting a quote on your Business Insurance. No Purchase Necessary must be 18 years or older.

Mother's Day is coming people in case you don't know. There are so many businesses along the Ave that have great things for Mom! Flowers from Torresdale Flowers or SteinsInfinity Gifts and Beyond and Giggles Gifts are always waiting to help you show your mama how much you appreciate her. Gift cards and gift certificates for treats for mom like manicures and pedicures, massages or even for all the yummy restaurants are a good idea too! If your mom is a booze hound I'm sure you could work on getting her a bar tab at one of the great MBA bars too! So many ideas for your one and only mom!! I'll be bringing you more specific ideas over the next week or so.

No comments: