Monday, June 25, 2012

This Week in Mayfair (06/25/12)

It seems like everyone is in full vacation mode this week! You're either currently away basking in the sunshine or eagerly awaiting your impending vacation by using your work time to browse the local interests, community calendars, look at pictures of the room you'll spend no time in except to sleep/pass out, and shop for a new bathing suit (thong obviously). Or you're like me having just returned from a vacation and wishing you had actually taken 2 weeks instead of just a week. And of course you were greeted by about 8 million emails and voicemails which you are now plodding through on this Monday morning made more horrible by the fact that you aren't on vacation anymore. Do me a favor though, if you aren't on vacation yet don't do what I did once. I was sitting lakeside in Maine (to answer your question, of course I was dressed like Jackie O) and I made the mistake of answering my phone thinking it was someone else when in fact, it was my boss. WTF? She then took my answering the phone as permission to call me for the rest of the week to leave me voicemails asking me questions about work while all I was trying to do was forget about work. So I did what any normal, well-adjusted human being would do....I chucked the phone in the lake. Then I realized it was a company phone. Oops.

Suck it corporate America.

So for all of us who are still stuck in this burg for a little while longer, hold fast! There are plenty of things to occupy your time while waiting to cross off one more day on your desk calendar.


Most importantly this Saturday, 6/30 starting at 9am, an offshoot of the Mayfair Civic Association, the Mayfair Clean-up Committee is hosting the first neighborhood clean-up.The clean-up was organized by local Mayfair neighbor, James Ortlieb after deciding that he was going to take matters into his own hands and help make our neighborhood look great. James has organized a clean-up of the Frankford Business Corridor from Harbison to Rhawn Street and is still in need of volunteers. All supplies will be provided by CLIP and water has been generously provided by MBA member Shop N Bag. Interested in signing up or helping out for a couple of hours? Here's a link to the official Facebook page for more information! First Annual Frankford Avenue Clean-up


On Wednesday night, you can always head to The Grey Lodge Pub for Quizzo from 8 till whenever they run out of questions. First prize is a $25 bar tab and second prize is a round of drinks for your 4 person team. Of course you can always get a head start working on your tolerance for vacation by visiting Scoats and crew every night this week where they will feed you fabulous food using the freshest ingredients and allow you to imbibe in some of the finest craft beers known to man. They are experts in the art of hops and barley and are always willing to recommend a beer based on your tastes without making your feel like an idiot (Trust me. I ask REALLY dumb questions. They never laugh at me.). Approachable beer connoisseurs they are; beer snobs they are not.
This judgmental fellow will not be found at the GL!

There are so many things in Philly to keep you occupied while you're waiting to board your plane to paradise. Occupy yourself for a couple hours by taking your chance  to yell "CHOOOOOOOOCH!!!" in person at a Phillies game. As always, Mike Perzel of the Perzel Agency is still running his special featuring the boys of summer.  Get a quote on your personal insurance (Auto, Home, Renters, Life) to be entered to win seats (Section 131, Row 5--game to be determined) at The Perzel Agency. While there, don't forget your $5.00 Wawa Gift Card. Just make sure you mention the MBA! All MBA members also qualify for a $25.00 Amazon Gift Card for getting a quote on your Business Insurance. No Purchase Necessary must be 18 years or older.

Well, you're about 10 minutes closer to your vaca now that you've read this blog. Here are some vacation inspired videos for you to waste more of your time;

For your mom, and my friend Frank, and what the hell, for me....I love the Go-go's:
Vacation by the Go-go's

For you courteous youngsters who like to blast music in your car that rattles the windows of those living 3 blocks away. We all LOVE you so much. So much, that we hope your non-existent brains won't get blown out the back of your head by your bass one day. NSFW!
Young Jeezy

For those of you with a great sense of humor. One of my all time favorites. NSFW!!
I got my flippy floppies







Enjoy!!



No comments: