Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mayfair Art Initiative's Third Thursday at Headquarters

I know nothing about art.

Seriously. I don't.

The only thing I do know is that I like certain art and I love certain artists. I adore Edward Hopper, Fairfield Porter, Andrew Wyeth, and Henri Rousseau. Why? No idea. I know little to nothing about their personal lives or their training. I just love looking at their work. Something catches me; a color, a subject, the composition, technique, and sometimes even a feeling.
Fairfield Porter, "Screen Porch"

I think I can count on one hand where I've been physically moved or overwhelmed by a piece of art:

1. Autumn Rhythm by Jackson Pollack (MET in NYC)
2. The Ghost Clock by Wendell Castle (Renwick Museum in Washington D.C)
Clock covered in a sheet? Nope. Carved entirely from one piece of wood. AMAZING.

3. Unknown pair of paintings by an unknown artist on display at the Dale Chihuly art gallery in Seattle. They were $7000 for the pair and I could not walk away from them. I never found out who the artist was and I’ve regretted it ever since. If I ever see them again I WILL buy them.

Yup. Three times.

Those were the three times where if I had copious amounts of cash on hand I would have immediately plunked it down gladly and gleefully.

I love art. I love the ability of people to see a blank object or canvas and make it into something beautiful and interesting. I'm always in awe of people who work a certain medium (wood, glass, clay and paint) and create something inspiring. I myself am a dabbler. I paint occasionally when the mood strikes me and I've done a couple of stained glass pieces. I'm pretty good at looking at something and copying it and there have only been a few times where I've actually created a painting wholly from inside of me and even fewer of those wind up actually being displayed. I'm my own worst critic.
Henri Rousseau, "Carnival Evening"

Art is subjective to most people. You either like something or you don't. However, most artists are trying to express something to you; impart some form of creativity and feeling. For most of them, it's a passion. Few artists actually make a living doing what they truly enjoy as an outlet. So in all of the chaos of their lives and going about the business of being students, parents, spouses, children, etc. they take the time to create.  Sometimes for an audience, but more often for themselves, because it's a part of them.

Edward Hopper, "Summer Evening"

Now many people like to say that Northeast Philly is a black hole of artistic expression. Granted, we aren't covered in wall-to-wall galleries like many of the hip neighborhoods but that doesn't mean we don't have our share of creative people living within our geographic boundaries  I personally have met many people of all ages, sexes and walks of life who consider themselves artists or artisans. Lots of times it comes up in casual conversation; "Oh, I weave baskets, paint, do photography, sculpture, etc."  Sometimes they may think they are the "only one" out there doing what they are doing.

Andrew Wyeth, "Turkey Pond"

This Thursday, one of our MBA members and the chairman of the recently created Mayfair Art Initiative, Bill Becker, owner of Headquarters (7213 Frankford Ave.) will be hosting the first Third Thursday in Mayfair. It's going to be an informal gathering of local Northeast Philadelphia artists, photographers, painters,artisans and crafters displaying and discussing their medium, techniques, inspiration and hopefully showcasing some of their work. 

We know you're out there and we want to see what you do in your not-so-spare time. If you're willing to share, we want to see what you're working on or have worked on in the past. If you don't want to share at this point but at least want to take a look at what others are doing please make sure to come out for this unique event!! Even if your version of creative expression is repainting the walls in your house whenever the mood strikes you or making food sculptures out of your kid's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...we WANT to meet you!


More information is available at the Facebook Event invitation. Mayfair Art Initiative's Third Thursday at Headquarters



No comments: