Monday, January 21, 2013

This Week in Mayfair (01/21/13)

I'm officially sick. And so is my husband and so are my kids. Which means I get to be sick and take care of all of them while trying to recover myself. This mainly consists of me laying on the couch power napping, only getting up long enough to switch to the next On Demand cartoon show that the kids want to watch while pumping them full of juice. Call me Florence Nightingale.

I come from a long line of healers. My great-grandmother was a great believer in the restorative powers of blackberry brandy.  Headache? Blackberry brandy. Nosebleed? Blackberry brandy? Protruding broken bone? Blackberry brandy. Ah, the good old days where alcoholism/drug addiction was socially acceptable mainly because you were constantly in a state of "recovery".







My mother is a nurse which means when we were growing up my siblings and I had to either be bleeding from they eyes, foaming at the mouth, or have a dangling limb that she herself couldn't reattach with the medical bag in the trunk of the car or a stapler.

"Mom! Judy shoved a stick into Marianne's eye!"
"Well, tell her to stop crying, come here and I'll pull it out. Get me the blackberry brandy and a shot glass too while you're at it."




In other sick news around Mayfair (the good kind of sick, not the germy, flu-infested kind.) See how I did that? Huh? Huh? Queen of transition.  

Did you ever want to go to one of America's 100 Best Beer Bars according to Draft Magazine and assumed they're probably all in Albuquerque? (I don't have the coin to travel right now!) I mean, let's think about this....how many bars are on Frankford Avenue alone? Probably close to a million (alright half a million). In all of Philadelphia? Add like 200 more. In all of 'MERICA? Close to 3 million at least. So 3 million divided by 100 is like 3% right? Math isn't my strong suit and I kind of forget where I was going with this but anyway, Mayfair's very own Grey Lodge Pub was named to this prestigious list for 2013.
Here's what Draft Magazine had to say about Scoat's GLP: "This northeast Philly blue-collar bar feels like the same lodge granddad would have escaped to for a few rounds of lager with his war buddies. The laid-back atmosphere and friendly banter remains, but the Lodge’s strict keg-rotating policy and emphasis on fresh regional craft is certainly 21st century."

You can read the rest of the winners here but honestly, who needs to knowing that you have one right in your backyard? Draft Magazine 100 Best Beer Bars in America 2013

See what all the hype is about this week at Quizzo on Wednesday starting at 8pm upstairs. Next week, Scoats and crew are gearing up for their famous Groundhog Day Hawaiian Shirt Beer Breakfast and Lucky Cat Beer Prognostication. Lucky you, it happens to fall on a Saturday which means weekend madness will ensue. 


Prepare or die.




 

No comments: