Sunday, September 30, 2012

This Week in Mayfair (10/01/12)

We all have those songs. You know the ones you can't help blasting in your car and singing in the most beautiful un-signed voice ever heard by man while the people in other cars stare at you trying to ascertain if they are witnessing passionate singing, a psychotic episode, or if you are having a seizure. Here's a little visual to remind you: This is you. Here are the songs that have a tractor beam attached straight to my head, heart and voice in no particular order and for no particular reason.


1. Southern Cross by Crosby, Stills, and Nash
2. All These Things That I Have Done by The Killers
3. Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley
4. So What'cha Want? by the Beastie Boys (and pretty much anything off of Paul's Boutique)
5. Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard (It always reminds me of summer camp and I'm not even kidding you when I say I think it's the ultimate stripper song. I have no idea why I just admitted that. Christ. Guaranteed my hubby has a pole installed, a fistful of ones and it cued up next time I walk in the house.
6. .Alone by Heart (I know, I know....but at least I have the balls to admit it. )
7.  Some Nights by fun. (my kids usually join me in the singing. It's awesome.)
8. Take it to the Limit by the Eagles
9. Somebody to Love by Queen
10. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
11. Anything Motown (Not only am I singing I'm probably dancing too which we all know is the safest thing to do while driving. And nothing puts me in a better mood.)

How I think I sound.

How I really sound.

I've been on an insatiable folk kick recently with Mumford & Sons, Of Monsters and Men, and The Civil Wars on constant rotation since the beginning of the summer and I like to think that I have pretty varied musical taste.  But since we're playing the musical honestly game today and I already admitted to belting my heart out to Heart,  if anyone ever took my iPod shuffle they would swear a 13-year-old girl owned it. I use it mainly at the gym and it's dominated by Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga with a dash of Beyonce and other things I probably shouldn't admit to (Miley Cyrus, One Direction (sweet Jesus), Carley Rae Jepson).  Shall I go on? No, I shan't. That's enough self-humiliation for one day (N'Sync--dammit!!).

Now to work on redeeming myself in your eyes since you now know the dark bottom dwelling secrets of my musical tastes and are secretly judging me. I don't judge the fact that you listen to the "Phantom of the Opera" Soundtrack as soon as your wife leaves the house, do I? No, dick. No, I don't.

Never one to judge anyone's musical tastes and more specifically their beer tastes, Scoats and the fine folks at the Grey Lodge Pub are indeed connoisseurs of music. Most if it's stuff that no one has ever heard of but that's cool because that's what they do; trendset and then giggle when the rest of us catch onto it about a year or so later. Join them every Wednesday night at 8pm at Quizzo to soak up some of the fine atmosphere of cool and drink fab beers while flexing your mental muscles for your friends and much dumber strangers (haha! idiots).

Takin mah' lady to the GLP for some vittles. 10-4, good buddy.
Make sure you mark your calendars for their most recent beer event "10-Four Good Buddy". 10-Four Good Buddy will feature several special beer/food pairings dreamed up by Scoats and Chef Dave. Like music and a great party, all dishes and beers are guaranteed to go well together and compliment each other. Beer will be in small pours and the food will be small plates, so you can try several without breaking your wallet or your waistline this Thursday, 10/4/12 from 4pm to 10:30pm.  

And don't forget the last Mayfair Fall Festival of the 2012 season. Sunday, October 14 from 9am to 2pm. Be there or be hungry. Good stuff abounds and there is a new Facebook page dedicated to updates and vendor information here; Mayfair Farmers' Market . Get some of your Christmas shopping done early!

You want to talk bad music? Feast your eyes on this if you haven't seen it yet. You owe yourself to watch the whole video and count how many times you say "What the f**k??!" 

Gangnam Style








No comments: